Thursday, March 12, 2009

Cream Cheese & Spinach Stuffed Chicken Rolls

Yummo! I tried this recipe last night and it was awesome! Of course, as with most recipes, I changed a few things and went my own way a bit. Here is the recipe (with my changes noted). Recipe was found on Cooks.com.

6 - boneless chicken breasts (I only did 3 since it was just the 2 of us)
1 - 8 oz cream cheese (I used only half of an 8 oz bar)
1/2 c chopped cooked spinach, drained (I used a half of a package of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry)
1 sm clove of garlic, minced (I used 1 tsp of jarred minced garlic)
1/8 tsp nutmeg (I grated fresh nutmeg and eyeballed it)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 large egg beaten w 1 TBSP water
1/2 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs (I actually used 1/2 cup of French's fried onions)
3 TBSP butter melted (I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray)
***************************************************************************************
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Flatten chicken between sheets of plastic wrap to uniform 1/4" thickness.

In large bowl, beat cream cheese (softened at room temp) with next 5 ingredients until combined. Spoon equal amounts of mixture across narrow end of breasts. Roll jelly roll style, secure with toothpicks.

Dip in egg mixture then roll in crumbs; shake off excess. In baking dish (I sprayed dish with Pam), arrange chicken in one layer, seam side down. Drizzle (or spray) with butter. Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until golden (30 min was perfect).

Enjoy. I will try to remember to take pics when we try new recipes. It was yummy! And I am sure you can stuff it with whatever mixture you'd like to try. Comment me and let me know how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. Okay...so I tried it! What better way to try something new than on a 6 year old and your man's ex-wife?! Haha! ;)

    I pretty much did everything the same except I used bread crumbs even though I LOVE french fried onions...didn't have any on hand. I also had A LOT of the cream cheese mixture left over. I used the full 8oz but had 4 LARGE chicken breasts. Wasn't sure what jelly roll style was (Ha!) so I just slathered on a layer over the whole breast and basically rolled it in thirds. My frill toothpicks got a bit crunchy too...haha. Overall it was yummy though! Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely be trying it with something spicy next time to give it a kick! The ex and kid ate it up! And well...so did I :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to make this and I also emailed the recipe to my sister, Mandi. I will let you know how we like it.

    ReplyDelete